SIG: Accountants in Practice
Jim Etherton, Senior Product Manager at Construction Industry Solutions Ltd (COINS)
Jim has worked with our member COINS for 16 years and has been actively involved in BASDA since 2006. He is also chair of the Construction SIG and represents BASDA on the HMRC’s Construction Industry Scheme’s (CIS) Operational Forum.
The Accountants in Practice Interest Group (AiP) is designed to bring together software developers, accountants and accountancy bodies, and representatives from the regulatory bodies such as HM Revenue & Customs, HM Cabinet Office, Companies House and even Members of Parliament themselves.
The Accountants in Practice SIG is currently engaging with:
Meeting quarterly, AiP discusses matters affecting the software products that firms of accountants use and, by extension, their clients. At each meeting, we aim to invite a member from the regulatory bodies to present on future plans and to provide a channel to give feedback and engage on the various matters arising.
Being part of AiP provides an early introduction to matters in the regulatory and compliance environment, many of which have serious strategic impacts upon software developers, their customers, and their customers’ clients.
Aims and Objectives
Digital Tax Accountants
Agent Online Self Service
Identity Assurance & Govt Gateway
Who should get involved
Practising firms of accountants and software developers who provide software to such firms should get involved in this SIG to ensure they remain well-informed and are represented at Government decision-making level to influence the requirements and legislation being introduced.
Current Agenda and Successes
To date, AiP has raised issues on the following:
- Digital Tax Accounts – the group has met with HMRC already to discuss how this might manifest themselves within computer software used by accountants and their clients.
- Identity Assurance and Government Gateway – the body is kept up to date on matters concerning Identity Assurance (now also know as GOV UK Verify) and the continuing lifecycle of the Government Gateway.
- HMRC APIs – the group meets to determine what APIs, as an industry, are required of HMRC and then lobbies when opportunities arise.
- Agent Online Self Service – the group is kept updated by HMRC on the development of AOSS.
- Richer Payments – the group met with a representative of the Payments Council to discuss future additional information to be included with electronic payments, such as payroll information, remittance advice and so on.
- Penalties Regime – the group has provided detailed feedback on research being undertaken by HMRC as to the further automation of the penalties regime.
To get involved with the Accountants in Practice group, contact email@example.com.
Join the Group
Find out more about the benefits of BASDA and how to join.